Saturday, January 2, 2010

All the Luck

Growing up, we ALWAYS had to have Pork and Kraut for our meal on January 1st.  I can remember mom steaming the pork roast for several hours, tying the black pan together with shoestrings.  She would then dump the kraut on top and steam it all together for another hour or so.  The sour, yet sweet, smell permeated throughout the 1200 sq ft farm home. 

When I was younger, I didn't know why we had to have the dreadingly bland looking meal (for of course it was always served with boiled potatoes) on every . single . New Years day.  When I would question it, all I would receive was "it's bad luck if you don't so eat up."  Okay, that still didn't answer much as to why we did it, but like a good little girl I did what I was told.   Now I know it is because of our heritage that we partake in such tradition.  According to Pennsylvania Dutch tradition, pork and sauerkraut will bring good luck to you and your family in the year ahead... if it's eaten on New Year's Day.

It still doesn't explain the why or how it brings good luck, but I will continue the tradition, because goodness knows, I need all the luck I can receive.

4 comments:

HeatherLynn said...

Shit! wish I'd of read this earlier...I'd of bought a whole hog!! ;) I'd of had to hold my nose to down the kraut though! that stuff smells like my dad's feet! Ewwwwwwwww Gross!!

xoxxo
~hl~

Holly Lefevre said...

Traditions (most of them) are good...they give a sense of continuity..even if you cannot figure out why? I love traditions.
Holly

Unknown said...

I can't handle the kraut. So we don't do that tradition....but wishing you a happy new year and lots of luck!!!
;-)

Tracie said...

We always did the sauerkraut but not the pork. I don't know the reason behind the tradition. I should Google it sometime.

(I didn't eat it this year. Hope I'm ok.)