thanks Google for the image
The other night I don't know what came over me, but I had an intense desire to bake. I didn't want anything sweet - I was craving a comfort food (in my case it always involves carbs!). I spied 4 ripe banana's on the counter & knew just what I was going to make. Yup, Banana Nut Bread - sans nuts since I have 3 very picky eaters.
Here is the recipe that I enjoy:
8 Tbsp (1 stick) Butter at room temp (I used real, salted butter)
3/4 cup Sugar
1 cup All Purpose Flour (I used 3/4 cup)
1 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Salt
1 cup Whole Wheat Flour (I used 1 1/4 cups)
3 large ripe bananas, mashed
1 tsp Vanilla
1/2 cup shelled Walnuts, coarsely chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees & grease a 9x5x3 bread pan.
2. Cream butter & sugar until light & fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
3. Sift all purpose flour, baking soda & salt together. Stir in whole wheat flour & add to creamed mixture, mixing well. (I also add in a few spices at this point)
4. Fold in bananas, vanilla, & walnuts.
5. Pour mixture into pan. Bake 50 to 60 minutes or cake tester comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes.
Makes ONE loaf.
There is nothing like the smell of homemade anything baking. It also makes me feel like I am providing for my family in one of the most simple ways - through love & their stomaches :o)
What is one of your comfort foods??