Wednesday, November 11, 2009

What is Holding You Back?

I don't mean to say that I have already achieved these things or that I have already reached perfection. But I press on to possess that perfection for which Christ Jesus first possessed me. No, dear brothers and sisters, I have not achieved it, but I focus on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us.  Philippians 3:12-14, NLT

Paul says that his goal is to know Christ, to be like Christ, and to be all Christ has in mind for him. This goal absorbs all Paul's energy. This is a helpful example for us.

We should not let anything take our eyes off our goal--knowing Christ. With the single-mindedness of an athlete in training, we must lay aside everything harmful and forsake anything that may distract us from being effective Christians. What is holding you back??

For me, the thing that is holding me back is my guilt.  I feel as though I don't deserve the love and grace that is promised me.  Really, does a person who just 6 months ago wanted to end everything deserve it?  I need to overcome this guilt and then I think I may be one paver closer on my journey.


This is something I heard on the radio one day last week and it has been stuck in my head.


The mistakes I've made
That caused pain
I could have done without
All my selfish thoughts
All my pride
The things I hide
You have forgot about


They're all behind you
They'll never find you
They're on the ocean floor
Your sins are forgotten
They're on the bottom
Of the ocean floor


My misdeeds
All my greed
All the things that haunt me now
They're not a pretty sight to see
But they're wiped away
By a mighty wave
A mighty wave, mighty wave


They're all behind you
They'll never find you
They're on the ocean floor
Your sins are forgotten
They're on the bottom
Of the ocean floor


Take them away
To return no more
Take them away
To the ocean floor

6 comments:

Holly Lefevre said...

You do deserve the love and grace that is promised you. Don't let the guilt hold you back. You are open and honest and there are good things here for you.

Holly

Tracie said...

Guilt holds me back, too. And selfishness.

Lee said...

Guilt hold me back always.

Unknown said...

I think a lot of us (or at least moms) feel similarly...it is true, however, that guilt is a useless emotion. We don't benefit from it at all. Or this is what I try to tell myself. But I can sympathize with what you are feeling on so many levels.

Life Laugh Latte said...

Love this. I guess what I focus on is that God isn't looking for us to be perfect to love us. He's looking at our hearts, our desire to love Him, He appreciates what we do...but we aren't loved more by Him because we serve others or live honorably. Then we would be earning our salvation...and His intention was for it to be a free gift. Come over for a visit. Holly at lifelaughlatte

Jenn Erickson said...

Beautiful lyrics. Thank you for sharing your feelings, honesty, and your experiences on your spiritual journey! Bless you!