Monday, December 14, 2009

Weekly Wisdom: gifts or Giver

Are you seeking the gifts or the Giver?


Sometimes we get so caught up in seeking God's presents that we forget all about His presence! God wants every believer to remain in His presence and have a personal relationship with Him just like you would with any other friend.

King David knew the importance of seeking God's presence and dwelling with Him. In Psalm 27:4, David writes, One thing I ask of the Lord, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord and to seek him in his temple. David set himself to seek and require one thing--God's presence.

The next two verses (Psalm 27:5-6) tell us the rewards of seeking God: For in the day of trouble He will keep me safe in His dwelling; He will hide me in the shelter of His tabernacle and set me high upon a rock. Then my head will be exalted above the enemies who surround me; at His tabernacle will I sacrifice with shouts of joy; I will sing and make music to the Lord.

The rewards of seeking God are awesome; not only will you develop a closer relationship with God, but you will also find true joy and contentment.

Psalm 16:11 says, You will fill me with joy in your presence. In other words, joy is found in God's presence--not His presents! Therefore, evaluate your life to make sure that you're seeking God, not just His gifts.

--------------------------------------------------------

Here is a little collage of the girls from our first of many Christmas gatherings



XOXO
MJ

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for the timely post! Gotta love King David! (my son's middle name came from King David)

HeatherLynn said...

cute girls!

Won't be long and I'll be snapping their pictures!

Hopefully I can get some good ones for ya!

~hl~

Tattoos and Teething Rings said...

What a beautiful and timely post, thank you. I, too, love the story of King David- my son is named for the man he killed to take his wife Bathsheba (Uriah- we spell it differently, but same name). Not the best inspiration for a name, but we love it :)

Holly Lefevre said...

Look at those girls...GORGEOUS!